Library website as communication tool

I am exploring my library website as a tool for communicating with kids, especially some limited off hours. With some trepidation, I have added a chat feature for Ask the Librarian. I am hoping that kids use it appropriately and that Joe Public doesn't find and abuse it. View it at http://library.sasaustin.org/sasaustin/library/contactUs.php How many of you have added this feature and how is it working for you? What suggestions do you have to make this a positive addition for the website? Also, if you have started a Ning network for your school community, please let me know how successful it is. Thanks.

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Barbara I have been considering doing the same thing from my library web page. Tell me what you have decided so far. How is it working - not working? Comments.

Thanks
    Debra Warren
    Berryville Middle School Library
  • Barbara,

In this age of instant communication, students would appreciate being able to ask questions directly to you without being in the library. You need to know that you are committing yourself to a lot of work if this communication feature becomes popular with your students. Are there any other independant school libraries around your area that you may want to share this project with?

In British Columbia, Canada, the Ministry of Education, with the assistance of Academic and Public Libraries across the province, have joined together to create Askaway, a service where students and the general public can directly access librarians. Librarians are available to chat online and help find library and online resources based on research topic.

School librarians were reluctant, at first, to participate but the British Columbia Teacher Librarians Association (BCTLA) has been looking at the success of the program since it started this spring and are hoping to join with other librarians in answering questions of students starting in the fall.

My own experiences with students communicating with wikis and chat lines has been positive for the most part. High school students seem at ease with chat lines but many adults in the classes that I teach at university grow frustrated while trying to communicate with chat. I doubt that the general public would access your library website and use this tool on a regular basis. Since you are an elementary and secondary institution, you will probably have parents communicating with you you rather than some of the younger kids.

I would suggest that you give specific times that you will be accessible on your website to facilitate communication with your students. I would appreciate if you would keep us informed in this forum as to the success of this endeavor.

I am in the process of changing school districts in British Columbia. The district I have applied to is rehiring school librarians in their high schools for the first time in five years after replacing them with library technicians. If I am hired, I hope to start up some form of Ning network so that we can work together as a group.

Sincerely,

Richard Beaudry
    CASL President
    Editor of SLIC
This reply was deleted.