Library Resource Database

Hello all! I had posted this idea on my state's school library list-serv and got some positive responses....I'm wondering what other librarians around the nation/globe think. Here's my original post... "In talking to a few of my library friends at PSLA, we discussed how we didn't know of any library-specific "database" to post and share good library lesson plans, activities, worksheets, collaboration ideas, and such that worked for us. Certainly, many librarians post their own lessons and activities on their websites (which is great, especially for us newbies!), but wouldn't it be nice if they were all in one place and searchable/browsable? So my general question is....does something like this already exist and I just don't know about it? Or if it doesn't exist yet, maybe a website like www.school-libraries.net or the PSLA website could have a feature like this? (Granted, I'm aware that someone would have monitor what gets posted, etc.) Does anyone think this would be a good idea if such a website were created?" The responses I got are attached if you care to read them, but I'm curious if anyone else has done something like this? Do you think it could work as an extension of a current 2.0 technology?

List-serv library database responses.doc

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Collette, I am working to do a similar undertaking for a library reference log. There are many good ideas in an article "Ref Logs now". (I can't remember the publication at the moment, but will look for it.) The concepts seem very applicable to what you want to do. The article suggests various potentialities for different blog applications. Many blogging formats and tools are searchable. I am new to blogging and am just learning in School Library Learning 2.0. I have discovered that it is searchable by topic, word, and phrase. It may also be possible to set up a public folder system simalr to what is available through Outlook. That may be limited to a single entity, perhaps your state organization.
    I attached my summary and review of the article that I did for my reference class.

Randy de Jong

I know enough to know I don't know enough.

REF LOGS NOW.doc

• The closest that I can think to what you propose is lm_net. Although it is now basically just a listserv, there is talk of establishing a wiki or blog or some way to upload files. The archive is searchable and very helpful for lesson ideas. If you haven't checked it out you ought to and search the archives at lm_net. Here is link to most parts of it: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
    Kathy Lawrence
    Cleveland Heights High School
This reply was deleted.