IM Reference in School Libraries

I've been hearing about IM reference services in academic libraries for some time, but haven't been able to see how to use it in our school until now. We have so many computer labs - and will have 8 laptop classrooms next year - that I'm thinking setting up an IM reference service during the school day might be helpful to our students. Students who won't walk down to the library during class - or when teachers are reluctant to let them out of class - might IM me with reference questions. This might provide one more way for us to slip some quality research tips to students. I have two questions: 1. I have no expereince using IM. Any suggestions how I should/could set this up? 2. Anyone else doing this? Suggestions? Tips? Thoughts?

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I use meebo which is an IM aggregator. I have a meebome widget on the library page. It has only been used once or twice, although I have set up IM "dates" t help students with our software from home. What is funny is when they meebo me from the other side of the library.
This reply was deleted.