Bringing our libraries into the new century

I'm brand new here (having just gotten "Ning" unblocked by my school, though I can work from home, too) and in my newbie enthusiasm may be duplicating Joyce's effort. But I wanted to put something up right away. Then I'll look at her discussion. My school, like many others, is caught in the tension between innovation and tradition. As an independent school we aren't bound by public school practices, but we do on the other hand have to answer to our board, which has its share of old boys and their hidebound ways. I also sense a strong adherence in my school to the way we've always done things, encouraged both by teachers who've been there a long time and by new kids fresh out of college, who are just learning the ropes and not necessarily ready to challenge tradition. We do have a broad minded and forward thinking headmaster, though, who wants to modernize and freshen what we do. So this is a good time to be working here. And, in a couple of weeks I get to go to a wonderful librarians' conference in Philadelphia which will include among other treats a visit to Joyce Valenza;s school! So, let's get the conversation going, whereever and however we do it.

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jane,
    Thanks for being the first brave soul to post! I am truly looking forward to your visit! Let's see if this takes off.
This reply was deleted.