Twilight @ the library

Hello All, very curious about how you are using Twilight (including the film) to promote the book, and in general, encourage greater enthusiasm for the library. For example, we are thinking about having a Twilight poster giveaway, among other things, a costume/look-alike contest. What activities are you doing? Thanks!

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Replies

• I am torn. The 4th and 5th graders at my school are asking for it. My fourth grade daughter and all her friends have devoured it. (My daugher is waiting for book 3 -- where she will stop for now) The librarian at my daughter's school plans to purchase the Accelerated Reader quizzes for the books, to accomodate the children who have read it, but not buy it for the library. My head says, 'save it for middle school', but my heart says, 'but they love the story'. It's a dilemma! My order is due soon ...
  • I was invited to take my students to a county library where they had a Twilight Prom. We dressed up for prom, the had the twilight soundtrack playing, we had refreshments, everyone played a Twilight Trivia game, we participated in a raffle for posters, movies, and books and then everyone watched the Twilight movie. There were at least 60 people there. The space was limited so they couldn't dance. It was fun but crowded.
  • The day the movie actually came out, we had a Lunch in the Library...contests (using the "clickers", food (including apples, black and red licorice), and prizes (had posters, movie tickets, movie companion books). It was a great success! I love the other ideas of continuing this...we still can't keep the books in the library for any length of time!
  • We had a Twilight party with over 125 high school students and faculty attending. We had refreshements, played Twilight bingo (found it on the Internet), played Twilight Jeapordy, gave out prizes all in 1 hour after school. It was fun and one of the most exciting times I've had since working in the media center.
    • I'll definitely have to "Google" the Twilight Bingo and Twilight Jeopardy games! Thanks for the tip. The other librarians in my district will love this, too.
  • We did a "Books With Bite" Book Club night last school year using Twilight. (This was before Teen Read Week decided to use Books with Bite as their theme this year.) We printed the Twilight Playlist from Stephanie Meyer's website. I also had a brochure available with many other vampire books. We used a red and black theme and served foods that fit the theme. (We had red apple slices with caramel dip, chocolate covered cherries, salsa and chips, red and white MandMs, etc. We also had two punch bowls--one with red punch (Edward) and one with a clear (Sprite-based) punch (Bella.) During refreshments we had the playlist playing. We used inexpensive black and red plastic table cloths, red and black paper plates, napkins, etc. My coworker's son had just had a red and black wedding the week before, so we used some of the black candle holders with the red candles. She also had some clear vases left over with reb and black ribbons around them. We saved the carnations (from the wedding) that were still usable and had red and white carnations in the vases. I'm including a FLICKR link to some photos below. The book discussion was lively and great fun! We would definitely do it again.
    • Hi....am totally new to being a librarian as well as totally new to the American culture....but I am a fast and enthusiastic learner....I loved the idea of Book Club night....how do u go about it??....which grades r included?? how do you form the club?? what else does the club do?? how do u decide which book to use??....Waiting anxiously for all ur replies...plz help???
    • Jan, i don't see the flickr links?
      • I'm posting the link for our Twilight Night FLICKR images.
        Twilight Night
    • I love it! I'm going to use some of these ideas when we have our book club meeting. So clever! Thanks, Jan and thank you, Elaine, for starting this thread. Great topic!
This reply was deleted.