M. Blackman - Naughts and Crosses
    C. Lynch - Inexcusable
    L. H. Anderson - Twisted
    J. Smerlcer - The Trap
    M. Zusak- I am the Messenger
    The Book Thief
    Fighting Reuben Wolf
    Getting the Girl
  • Tracy I would like to hear what you find out about books for boys 4 - 6 and 7 - 9. Those are the areas I have and always have a hard time getting some of the boys to even pick up a book.

Thanks
    Debra Warren
    Berryville Middle School Library
  • Hi Tracy,

Grades K-3 love David Shannon books (No David!, David Goes to School, etc. - they are hysterical!). Captain Underpants and Ricky Ricotta (all by Dav Pilkey) are also very popular with beginning readers, and many of them also like the Magic Treehouse series too. Two other picture books which I can't keep on the shelves for this age group are "Actual Size" and "Prehistoric Actual Size" by Steven Jenkins. They are really cool books!

Grades 4-6: At my school magazines are very popular with this group. They are constantly signing out The Hockey News, Off-Road Magazine, Shonen Jump, and Sports Illustrated for Kids. Many are really into graphic novels and manga. Right now the "Fullmetal Alchemist" series is quite popular, as well as the "Whistle" series. The "Slapshots" series by Gordon Korman has also been re-printed with new cover art and it seems to be quite popular at the moment.

My school only goes to grade 7, but as you mentioned, the Darren Shan series (Cirque du Freak) is definitely one worth buying for this age group. I usually booktalk it to a class or two in the fall, and then I can't keep it on the shelves all year. Again, the magazines are quite popular with this age of boys. They also seem to like The "Keys to the Kingdom" series by Garth Nix a lot. Graphic novels and manga are also appealing. Many have read the entire "Bone" series to date (by Jeff Smith).
  • Hi Tracy,
    Here is a list I just did for you using Titlewave. My focus is Grades 9-12.
    I hope you like it!
    Karen
    Across the wall : a tale of the Abhorsen and other stories
    By Nix, Garth. Dewey: -Fic-
    Presents twelve fantasy short stories plus a novella set in the world of the Abhorsen trilogy, and features story introductions by the author.
    ____#26885S5 2005 IL:YA $12.16 The all-American hot rod : the cars, the legends, the passion
    Dewey: 629.228
    A collection of photographs and essays by well-known and respected automotive historians, celebrities, and journalists that trace the history of hot rods.
    ____#38153J2 2004 IL:AD $26.96
    American cars, 1960-1972 : every model, year by year
    By Flory, J. Kelly. Dewey: 629.222
    Contains a comprehensive reference to American made cars from 1960 to 1972 and includes information on each make's status and the significant changes that were made each year due to the gas crisis of the early 1970s.
    ____#36285J2 2004 IL:AD $74.96 Ball don't lie
    By Pena, Matt de la. Dewey: -Fic-
    Seventeen-year-old Sticky lives to play basketball at school and at Lincoln Rec Center in Los Angeles and is headed for the pros, but he is unaware of the many dangers--including his own past--that threaten his dream.
    ____#34369Q2 2005 IL:YA $14.40
    Battle of the bands
    By Denman, K. L. Dewey: -Fic-
    Jay, Kelvin, and Cia are The Lunar Ticks, a dedicated band, convinced they are on their way to the top.
    ____#10678T7 2006 IL:YA RL:3 $12.26 Blood brothers : among the soldiers of ward 57
    By Weisskopf, Michael. Dewey: 956.7044
    "Time" magazine correspondent Michael Weisskopf describes his experiences in the amputee ward of Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, D.C., after losing a hand to a grenade in Iraq, and chronicles the physical, emotional, and psychological recoveries of three soldiers he met there.
    ____#24711S7 2006 IL:AD $22.50
    Blue blood : Duke-Carolina, inside the most storied rivalry in college hoops
    By Chansky, Art. Dewey: 796.323
    Chronicles the fifty-year rivalry between the Duke and Carolina basketball teams, examining the contrasts between the two schools and their teams and describing some of the games that have influenced the rivalry.
    ____#37138Q9 2005 IL:AD $25.95 Cars and culture : the life story of a technology
    By Volti, Rudi. Dewey: 629.222
    Presents a history of the automobile, and discusses the political, economic, social, cultural, and technological forces that have shaped the development of automobiles and the automobile industry.
    ____#38272LX 2004 IL:YA $50.70
    Cinderella Man : James J. Braddock, Max Baer, and the greatest upset in boxing history
    By Schaap, Jeremy. Dewey: 796.83
    Contains a look at the life and career of Depression era heavyweight boxer James Braddock, describing his experiences as a fighter and a longshoreman, and includes a chronicle of his auspicious bout with champion boxer Max Baer.
    ____#09583Q4 2005 IL:AD $20.40 Colder than hell : a Marine rifle company at Chosin Reservoir
    By Owen, Joseph R. Dewey: 951.904
    Personal narrative describing the fighting conditions experienced by the U.S. Marines in North Korea.
    ____#36791J7 1996 IL:AD $5.94
    The complete guitar course : learn to play in 20 easy-to-follow lessons
    By Fleming, Tom, 1975- Dewey: 787.87
    Contains twenty lessons designed to teach a beginning musician how to play the guitar, discussing choosing the right instrument, chords, different styles, scales, famous guitarists, and more; and includes exercises.
    ____#36943S4 2006 IL:AD $25.50 Concept cars : designing for the future
    By Dredge, Richard. Dewey: 629.222
    Photographs and text profile concept cars from the last thirty years, documenting key designs of recent times and celebrating those cars that have evolved from the drawing board to the production line.
    ____#39000Q5 2004 IL:AD $21.22
    Crackback
    By Coy, John, 1958- Dewey: -Fic-
    Miles barely recalls when football was fun after being sidelined by a new coach, constantly criticized by his
  • Here is a list for grades 10-12 that I recently wrote up.

GRFG.doc

• Great list! I especially liked the Authors you included!
  • The Times of London just printed a top 100 must read list for boys. It can be found at http://dwarfurl.com/88887
    • Thanks so much- I made it a favorite!
  • Grades 4 to 6: "Freak the Mighty", Roald Dahl books, non-fiction material (sports, cars, war... etc.)
    Grades 7 to 9: Gary Paulsen, GRAPHIC NOVELS/MANGA
    Grades 10 - 12 Todd Strasser, Terry Goodkind, GRAPHIC NOVELS/MANGA
  • Find the "Guys write for Guys Read" book by John Scileszka, it is flying off my shelves and can point boys to books they might enjoy. All scary story treasuries are a must for all ages about 3rd grade, but the "Batman Handbook" and books by the same publisher are also grabbing readers of all ages and they contain true reading material (even if it is silly, it is better than Captain Underpants which is popular with the under grade 3s).

Susan
This reply was deleted.