Virtual office hours

This year, to enhance collaboration, I began offering virtual office hours for those assignments on which I collaborate. I embedded an instant message Meebo widget on my library contact page and created accounts on various IM services, which are managed via the one Meebo account. I let kids know when I am available to help with the resources through the assignment page and email. I'll help with citing, note taking, web evaluation, etc. part of the project. I'll usually get 10-15% of the students in the class who do either email or IM me during the posted hours. The hours are typically 7-9 on a Thursday evening or 3-5 on Sunday afternoon before the assignment is due. I think the participation is low because this is a service that isn't on their radar. Or, the hours are not when the kids are working on their assignment. Are any of you offering virtual office hours and how are you promoting this service to students? How successful is it so far? Thanks, Barb Jansen See Meebo widget

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow- this sounds like an interesting idea. I do this for my graduate students, but haven't for my HS students. In Colorado we have a great online resource from the state library system. Ask Colorado has as many as five virtual librarians on at any time of day to answer student's questions. It works pretty cool. They are usually much more savvy that I...so I think I'll just let them do it for a while. Interested to hear how your work goes.
This reply was deleted.