Independent School Librarian Interview

Hi everyone! I am about to graduate in May with my MLS and am about to be flown across the country for my first job interview. I am applying to be the head librarian at an independent school, and needless to say, I'm a bit nervous. It will be an all-day interview and I'm not sure what to expect. Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect, what to do/what not to do, what questions I'll most likely be asked, etc? Any help would be very very appreciated.

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Rebecca,

I work at an independent school in Minneapolis and we are in the process of interviewing candidates for a Middle School Teacher-Librarian position. We also have a full-day interview process that can be a bit grueling; all teaching candidates have a series of interviews with administrators and teachers as well as getting to teach a class. I agree with Doug's pointers as well as having my own take on things.

My general advice is to be enthusiastic, confident and positive throughout the day but also make sure that you are a good listener. Be honest about your abilities and make it clear that you are willing/eager to learn and adapt. Be prepared to answer some of the same questions over and over. Prepare ahead of time to answer the basic questions such as why you want the job and what your strengths and weaknesses are. I often ask questions about how candidates keep current in their field. Do you, in your case as a new graduate, plan to read blogs/journals/books, attend conferences, join social networks? :-) Are you familiar with current standards in technology and information literacy? How will you ensure that the library is a "21st Century learning environment?"

If you have an opportunity to teach a group of students try to interact with them as much as possible rather than just lecturing at them. In my opinion, the class doesn't have to be perfect but it is important to see how you relate to the students and how they relate to you. Ask some open-ended questions and allow a bit of wait time for students to think of their answers. Call on a variety of students instead of just calling on the kid in the front row who raises her/his hand first. Try to find out as much as possible about the class ahead of time so that your lesson is worthwhile. At my school a teacher volunteers to "give up" a class to allow the interview class to take place and it is very discouraging when the lesson is far from the mark.

Good luck with your interview!
    Maelene
  • Hi Rebecca,

I have a few pointers in this column from a few years ago:

http://www.doug-johnson.com/dougwri/getting-the-job-you-deserve.html

I think it still holds up pretty well.

Good luck with your interview. Remember that you should be interviewing them as well!

All the very best,

Doug
This reply was deleted.