Our school is facing a sever space problem next year. We're a grade 3 - 13 school, housed in one building that looks like an office block. Next year we'll have 3 classes on each grade level, and we know now that we don't have enough space to teach our timetable. Portacabins are already planned for the Primary School playground, admin is considering busing the older kids out to other buildings for certain classes. One of the (many) scenarios for improving our program while easing the space crunch involves moving the Drama and Music program into the space where we have our Primary School Library. We don't have a librarian, and we have no "library education program." At the moment the kids come once a week to change their reading books, and that's it. The library sits empty and unused half the week. I'm wondering if anyone has ever worked in a decentralized library. Here's the plan: The art books will go to the very large art room (with a very good art teacher), the ref books to the "media literacy" room, the non-fiction to an area which is accessible and secure, but which cannot be used as a classroom, and the fiction will be spread among the grade level classrooms. Are there any "pro's" at all to an idea like this? (other than giving the very strong Music-Drama program a home. Right now it's taught in stairwells, hallways, and one end of the cafeteria.) The "con's" are really easy to come up with! I can't wait to hear your thoughts. (Good thing you can't throw eggs at me!)

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –