How to use a Golden Compass?

Interesting email concerns hovering around the release of the Golden Compass movie. Library podcast Lib Vibe reports that Toronto Catholic boards of education have pulled the series and are considering what to do. What do you think this email frenzy and movie release will do for our readers?

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I received e-mails about the Snopes article and was very disappointed in how biased the whole article was. Unfortunately, I have since deleted my e-mail to friends and daughter in reply because I really used it as a teaching tool about bias and about being able to access sources that are cited. I probably should recreate because our readers will talk to us about the controversies surrounding the movie. I also talked about how what we gain from books/articles/conversations is influenced by our own experiences in life and are often far from what the author was actually thinking. I recommend that unless they have read the book for themselves and so can make their own determinations, that they should not blindly repeat what others have said as fact. (I have listened to the whole series and very much enjoyed it.) School Library Journal put an article out that I appreciated. Final Say: Hopefully, we will use the frenzy to teach some critical thinking skills!!
    • Oh yeah- this is exactly what I was wondering. I have students that will be researching and writing position papers starting Friday, and the teacher I am working with wants them to get a better idea of how to write with a viewpoint/bias. So- in addition to the challenge/banning issue- I think there will be a terrific opportunity for education. My oldest son says this is his second favorite all time book (a close second to Endor's Game) and we all just listened to the book (I'm almost done with the series for a second time). It is a fascinating read, but fantasy after all! Keep those comments rolling!
  • The board has pulled the book (like they do every challenged book) until there has been a review. It is a Catholic board and it wouldn't be surprising if they pull a book that is (in their opinion) anti-church and promotes atheism. It would be a great opportunity for high school students to use it as a novel study and do a comparison with religion.

I have the book in my library and recommend to those students who like this genre. My own son (14) has read the book and we have had some great conversations about it. That being said, I won't let my 11 year old nor 6 year old attend the movie.
  • Hi there!
    I've also heard some mumblings from my church and family about this movie, but I've just chalked it up to living in Pennsylvania. I have the book in my library, even at the elementary level, and I don't think there's any harm. Interestingly, I have had one girl return the book because her mom didn't want her to read it. I'm wondering if the movie is bringing to light some of the more controversial aspects of the book...not that that's bad, just wondering.
    I'm guessing there will be some students who will see the movie and get interested because there are sequels, but usually I find that if they see the movie, they don't bother reading the book. I'd love some ideas for how to change that, though!
    Collette
    Elementary Librarian
  • Hello guybrarian,

Hopefully entice our students to read the story and possibly see the movie. As we all know some of the best books are challenged across North America. I carry the book in my library.

Richard

Richard Beaudry
    Teacher Librarian
This reply was deleted.