PIcture Books

1. When choosing a book to purchase for the library, what features or qualities do you consider? This includes the books’ title, author recognition, illustrations, audience, purpose, text, binding format, creativity and uniqueness. 2. When you choose a book to read to a class that visits the library, what features or qualities do you consider? 3. What qualities do you think are found in award winning picture books, such as the books featured on the Texas 2x2 reading list? 4. How long have you been a librarian and what university did you graduate from? 5. If you could give some suggestions to a writer trying to publish a picture book, what do you think they should know? 6. What authors and or illustrators inspire you?

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1. I look for authors I enjoy and/or the kids request. Consider major award winners. Always seeking creative storytelling with unusual graphics

2. I try to find simple text complemented by eye-catching illustrations.

3. Some award-winners bother me - seem to be aimed more at adult readers. The kids like a reasonable balance of innovation and the familiar.

4. Graduated from C.W. Post (Palmer Graduate Library School) at Long Island University. Been a librarian for over 30 years, a school librarian for 10 years.

5. If you're writing a picture book, remember to aim at the pre-K to grade 2 audience. Older kids won't borrow books - or their teachers won't let them borrow - from our easy/picture section, no matter how sophisticated the text.

6. I'm inspired by David Catrow ("I Ain't Gonna Paint No More" is my new favorite and loved by all my classes), Allen Say ("Grandfather's Journey"), Robert Munsch, and Jan Brett (though I have to abbreviate some of her stories, the illustrations are gorgeous)>
This reply was deleted.