Best book you read all year?

This may be the first summer in a long time I can read just for fun. I thought it would be cool to plan our summer reading lists here. But let's really be selective. Choose one, just one, book in each category and share it here. Feel free to attach links to reviews or include delicious covers! Best children's Best YA Best graphic novel/memoir, etc. Best adult fiction Best adult nonfiction Best guilty pleasure(!)

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For Intermediate Elementary reader (and great read-aloud) Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin. This is a beautiful fable with a message of the value of appreciating what you have instead of being miserable worrying about the things you do not.
  • Hard to say but I'll go with "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins
  • I read a bunch of great titles this year but one that jumps right out to the front is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I really liked her Gregor series as well. Part 2 of Hunger Games comes out in Sept. A local book store friend gave me the galley to read so I am eager to get that started. This one would fall under Best YA.
    Best adult nonfiction would have to be Outliers by Gladwell. I really loved his other two (Blink and Tipping Point) so this just was a natural for me.
    Rarely get to any adult fiction - enjoying the K-8 stuff too much and it keeps me pretty busy trying to keep up.
  • YA--No Shame, No Fear (Ann Turnbull)
    graphic novel/memoir--American Born Chinese (Gene Yang)/Born on a Blue Day (Daniel Tammet)
    adult nonfiction--Kitchen Table Wisdom (Rachel Remen)
    guilty pleasure--The Shapeshifter (Tony Hillerman)
  • Professional- Web 2.0 New Tools, New Schools by Gwen Solomon and Lynne Schrum has made a huge impact on my school and library program.

Guilty pleasure- Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen- what crazy characters!!!
  • Best adult fiction -- The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo Stieg Larsson
    Best YA -- The Adoration of Jenna Fox Mary Pearson
    Best adult nonfiction -- American Shaolin Matthew Polly
    Guilty Pleasure -- Brimstone Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child Pendergast series
    Best Book on CD -- Unaccustomed Earth Jhumpa Lahiri

I've tried Library Thing, but prefer GoodReads.com. I can keep track of my books, list "to reads," and share with friends.
  • Joyce,
    Maybe you can add these to your Christmas reading list. Here are some I really enjoyed:

Best children's- Schooled by Gordon Korman
    Best YA- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas/Twilight series
    Memoir, etc.- The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan
    Best adult fiction- 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult
    Best adult nonfiction- I would like to read John Grogan's new book
    Best guilty pleasure(!)- Queen of Babble series by Meg Cabot

Thanks for making this Ning! It's a great way to share ideas!
    Jennifer
  • Best YA: An Abundance of Katherines
    Best Memiors: A Tale of Live and Darkness by Amos Oz
    My Life in France by Julia Child
    Best Fiction: Villette by Charlotte Bronte
    Guilty Pleasure: Everything by Robert B. Parker: the Spenser novels, the Jesse Stone novels and theSunny Randall
    novels
  • This is a nice book. I want to read this book.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Richard Arthur
  • For Kids: The Underneath by Kathi Appelt. If this doesn't win a Newbery, I'll cry.

For Adults: I really enjoyed Paula Deen's biography "It's Not all about the cookin''

"Water for Elephants" (fiction) by Sara Gruen was also fascinating.
This reply was deleted.