Replies

• We have 76 iPads available for teachers to check out. I'm currently in the process of updating, registering, syncing, and naming them now. Only teachers can check out the iPads (students can only use them once their teachers have checked them out), and they can keep them in their classroom until I need them back or another teachers needs them. Our biggest issue right now is getting all of the iPads registered under one Apple ID and getting our vpp code verified so we can start purchasing apps through the school account. I am assuming you all know this, but in case you don't: You can download one app from iTunes under a vpp (school) account and upload that app to 20 iPads. Once you hit 20 iPads, you can purchase the app again and upload it to 10 iPads. So, essentially, you only have to buy the app one time for groups of 20 and 10 at a time. Teachers are currently using their own Apple IDs to download free apps. But, once we get all the iPads under the school account, I will be the only person who can download apps (even if they're free) to the iPads. It seems very confusing right now, but I am hoping to get things straightened out very soon.

Our tech guy showed me yesterday how to set parental controls to the iPads, which has been another concern. I would highly encourage setting those controls if you haven't already! You can "hide" the App Store (so no "accidental" purchases from crafty students), hide Safari, hide apps you don't want them to use (like YouTube). You just go to "settings" and then to "restrictions".

My hope is to get the iPads fully up & running the way we want them (all registered and synced, etc.) and then start using them during library instruction. For instance, I'm working with 2nd graders on alphabetical order as a library skill unit. There are so many apps/games that concentrate on ABC order and I'd love for them to be able to use the iPads to practice that skill.

• How are your teachers using the iPads in their classrooms, particularly in with the higher grades? Our high school will be supplying teachers with iPads by the end of the school year and I'd like to offer as much support to teachers as possible. Thanks!

• The technology teacher and I decided to stop checking them out to students and check them out to teachers of K, 1st grade, and 2nd grade.  We did this because our 5th and 6th graders have their own laptops, and our 3rd and 4th graders have a mobile Mac lab.  So far our primary teachers have used the iPads in centers as a means of boosting reading skills by using apps designed for this purpose.  The teachers who have used them so far have reported that they really like having the iPads in centers, and that the students really enjoy using them during these times, too!

• My school is thinking of buying a few tablets for the first graders next year to use in their classrooms as a part of "center time". 

For those of you who have them in your library, how long are students allowed to check out the iPad for? Do you have different ereader books on there or just educational games?

I'd be afraid to send a student home with a school iPad, for fear that I may never see it again like some of our books! 

• At our school, only teachers are allowed to check out iPads and the students use them in their classrooms (not take them home). Teachers have 2-8 iPads in their room at all times (depending on grade) which they use during small groups and centers. They can check out an entire cart (up to 30 iPads) for whole class activities. Right now, the teachers decide what apps they want to use because we don't have our school-wide account set up quite yet. They use mostly reading and math apps (games). A few of them use iBooks and download free books which students can read. I'd love for us to be able to use them as e-readers eventually.

• Are any high schools using them? My IT coordinator is talking about buying five iPads for the library this year. Thanks.

• Wow you have a great IT coordinator! We wrote a grant to get some in our 6-12 library but didn't get it. I think using them as an ereader would be a great way to start and then as a research tool.

• Kate, do you have any favorite apps to library instruction time?
  • We are getting iPads soon.  I would be interested in knowing how everyone else uses and manages them.
    • See my post above for info. on how I'm using mine.
This reply was deleted.