Hunger Games Week March19-23, 2012

Our high school library is considering sponsoring a week's worth of activities centered around the Hunger Games series and upcoming movie release. 

As of right now we are considering a T-shirt and movie poster raffle to raise money for our library scholaship, as well as a themed bake sale. 

We've seen a few board games and lesson plans floating around out there that we may decide to host.

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Some kind of a nerf-like archery tournament could be fun. 

• Our PE Department hosted a Hunger Games activity using swimming noodles in the gym during a lunch time. You are only allowed to hit below the knees. Anything above you are out.  If you are hit below the knees, you have to lie on the floor and do 5 sit-ups.  It was great fun, no blood, and even more excitement about reading the books!

• I've created a trivia contest over the book (in two rounds) using a Jeopardy template for PowerPoint. I have it, along with a flyer for advertising, available online on a new wiki I created. Anyone may modify and use it for noncommercial purposes. To access my materials, go to http://librarianresources.wikispaces.com/. I don't think the students will come across it because I chose not to have this wiki indexed by search engines in the settings. Hopefully, they won't come across the link on here either. 

• Hi.  I love this idea and took it to use as a daily trivia question in the library leading up to the premiere. 

However I was "challenged" today with the very first question.  Who wants to kill Katniss "slowly and painfully?"  The answer is actually Clove not Cato.  A group of HS special ed. students who read it as a class were very upset and ready to kill me "slowly and painfully."   In the story Clove sits on Katniss and promises to kill her slowly and painfully FOR Cato, but he isn't the one who says it.

• Thank you so much!  I can't wait to check it out.

• Okay, we are planning a big school-wide event for middle school. The last 2 periods of a Friday, we are randomly selecting one person per homeroom to compete in the "Games." (of course, there may have to be alternates) All students will go to the gym to see the selected warriors compete in a variety of challenges. Each homeroom has to contribute something such as a snack, drinks, slap bracelets, etc.. and then the lone survivor gets the entire bounty to take back to their homeroom. We don't have all the details worked out yet, but are super excited!

• I am going to do a trivia type competition for our Middle School students.. The winner and runners up will get tickets to the movie.  I'll let the students bring lunch nto the library on that day and have some treats. Easy. The only problem is that I'm going to need TONS of questions!

• Susan,

I can't find the board game.  Do you know what it's called?  Thanks.  Patti

• http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-Games-Training-Days-Strategy/dp/193569...

Amazon.com/ The Hunger Games/ Training Days Strategy Game/ Toys & Games

Product Description

From the Manufacturer

From the best selling book comes the hunger Games: Training Days Strategy Game. Coinciding with the final book in the trilogy being released this Fall. Training Days game allows 2 - 6 players to follow in the footsteps of their favorite tributes. High quality from WizKids / NECA.

Product Description

Based on the bestselling book The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, the Training Days game allows players to choose Tributes from their favorites Districts and challenge each other to matches of wits and skills. 

Hunger Games includes:

• 18 Tribute cards
        • 45 Challenge cards
        • 4 Reminder cards
        • 3 Dice
        • 1 Approval Rating Card
        • Effort tokens and score tracking tokens
  • Not really a reply...but...
    Our English Language Arts head is having a Hunger Games event during that week. I have offered to assist her and have had all my suggestions shut down. She can be very insecure and is in that position for this school year only. I think, as the school's librarian, I need to be involved. I suspect my involvement will be limited to hanging a poster or two.

Any suggestions? I am new to the school and this is my first year as a libtarian after many years as a para (I do know my stuff-and I think she's afraid of my expertise)

Thanks!
    Claudia
This reply was deleted.