398 Dewey Delima

My Vice Principal (rumored to be the next principal next year) came into the library a couple of weeks ago and we were dicussing how sometimes the order of the Dewey Decimal system was weird and can be confusing.  I then made the comment that I always thought that it was weird that the 398's fairytales, folktales, and legends were included in Dewey, until I became a librarian and realized that the "Non-fiction, means not fake" myth was completely off.  I also told her that I try to teach the children that the Dewey Decimal system is based on a subject, not an author.  She tottaly didn't get this concept and started in on how it was very confusing for the children and the way they prepare them for the End of Grade tests.  She said that the tests/text books all define it clearly in the middle non-fiction and fiction real or not real and that we might have to change the location of the 398s!!!!  I didn't even mention that the 811's are all poetry.  Myquestion is has anyone ever come across this argument?  I mean, am I not making myself clear by teaching that Dewey meant for the books to be classified by subjects?  Does anyone have a way that I can approach this without stepping on her toes?  Thanks so much!  By the way, 1st year librarian here, trying not to make any waves!

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I explain this conflict to kids by saying that fairy tales began as oral stories told from person to person. Since the 300's are Social Sciences, it connects to the "social" theme this way.
  • You can make the argument that MS and HS, both, have their libraries organized by the Dewey system.  If we don't teach our children about the organinzation they won't be albe to find a book in their future library.  When a student asks the librarian in MS where to find a book she teaches him/her how to find it with the catalog and how to find on the shelf.  They don't get up and grab the book for the kid and give it to them. If they do this they've taught them nothing.

Speak to the MS that your 5th graders feed into and ask her for her input.

• thanks, mostly for the support.  I know I am right to defend my position, it just seems useless to argue with someone who doesn't understand the reason for the organization of the library.
  • I definitely used the 398s for folktales in the elementary part of my library. I shelved them right next to the E books since most of them were of the picture book variety. The more text like books - higher level with few pictures were in the more conventional area of the library. Must clarify I was in a K-12 library. They were high interest because I taught them and their relationship to the cultures that were identified with them. Keep them as they are, but if you have room near your picture books, that's a viable option.
    • It's almost hilarious, our Dewey is completely on one side of the room, and our fiction on the other.  About 10 years ago they took about a 1/3 of the library to create another classroom.  Well, the way the story goes is that the librarian didn't know a thing about it and all of the shelves were just shoved into a spot over that summer.  When she returned she almost died.  She basically had to reshelve every book in the library, and so  she  decided to shelve dewey on one side and fiction on the other, which is a pretty convienent way to teach the differences to k-2.  I am changing the arrangement of shelves over the summer.  If they  moved em' once they can move em' again, but this time how I want them.
  • I've seen 398's in their own section in elementary libraries. I am in a middle school library, and I moved them to their own (more "stand-out") section based solely on my space issues ... a side benefit is that they may be used more in this more visible location. In the stacks, I have a sign indicating where the 398's are, and I have a "Folk Tales & Fair Tales" sign over their new location. I left their call numbers on them.

That said, I don't think the VP gives a strong argument for why they should be moved. I wonder if using the phrase "Cultural Tales" might help her/him (and others) see why they are in NF. Also, I think good signage can really set off these special areas like 398 and 811.

I, too, am new and acquisenced to a principal's wishes ... and after almost an entire year, I've figured out a way to benefit from that change (different thing) ... so if there are additional reasons for moving the section, maybe it is a good idea.

But I'd encourage you to be strong and confident knowing that there are millions of libraries organized as yours is ... maybe you could even point out how the nearby public libraries have dewey and that you are teaching the children to be life-long learners/library users?

Good luck!

• Thanks for your support!  The way my library is designed is sooo weird!  The school was designed in the 70s as an "open concept" school, which basically meant no doors or walls!  Since then they have sectioned off each classroom, however the library is basically the hallway lined with shelves.  So over the summer I am doing a major overhaul and  moving the shelves to better positions so that I can see students better, and it's more age appropriate.  Still debating this issue in my head.  I guess I just get a little defensive about the library, making sure things are just right.  There is a tiny bit of friendly competition between all of the librarians in the school district (whose looks the nicest, who has a better collection in such and such an area etc.)  I just don't wan to be the weird school that messes up the dewey! 
This reply was deleted.